Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Small scare...

So our little man was causing some problems today, see I told you he'd be my handful ;) No really he is doing alright but he was having some "desats" a little too many and a little too low...From the moment I walked in there today his monitor alarms were ringing that his oxygen levels were too low...Over the next hour he kept dropping for no reason and down into the 60's, if you remember from my previous post the Oxygen level should be as close to 100% as possible.

We tried him on some Air flow through his nose and that didn't seem to help. Then we ran 23% oxygen (room air is 21% so not a huge amount) and that still didn't seem to help. After trying for some time we called in the attending dr who checked him over, a few more people came and they drew blood, poor guy was screaming and then they called X-ray over and they took some x-rays of his abdomen. The only thing he was showing was a bit of a distended belly, which usually means gas or he needs a poop, although he was pooping fine. When you are only 2 pounds everything comes to you, you don't even need to leave the comfort of your bed.

The dr took us down the hall to explain what might be happening. It could be an infection but they aren't sure or not, the pathology of the X-ray revealed no problems, the Blood gas (whatever that is) showed normal. We don't have the blood counts and the rest of the blood work back yet which will show if its an infection yet or not.

When I left him I had just fed him and he was stable on a little oxygen and sleeping...I'll call in a little while to see how his is and hopefully go back tonight for some kisses..

So the little man could use some prayers and happy thoughts tonight that its maybe just some gas or something not serious...what an exhausting day...

5 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of you all Stacey. I read the blog every day.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little guy, hope he's doing better today. Make sure you post any updates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor little guy our thoughts and prayers are ALWAYS with you all everyday! xoxo Please let us know

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes - everyday we send some your way but we'll do a little extra today. xoxo Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone, he is stable and still doing the same today. I haven't seen him yet but once I do I will report back!

    ReplyDelete