Today when we went to the babies they said that Blake had been having the same problems overnight again. His tummy blew up again 1cm more over night than normal which I guess is a lot for a tiny baby, and he was desating quite a bit and he was really fussy and upset...Since Tuesday when he was first having his breathing issues and tummy troubles they stopped they human milk fortifiers he was on and only have mommy's milk...Last night they reintroduced the fortifiers into his milk and he instantly started having problems...So there you have it we have found the culprit to his problems!
Not that I am happy that he is having these issues, I am happy that we have been able to pin point a problem that we can now try and fix. His blood work and x-rays and everything coming back normal of course was great too, but at least now we have something to go with instead of being stumped.
They immediately stopped the fortifier and by the next feeding he was doing much better! His tummy had gone down and he was able to keep the full amount down with out pushing it back up. I guess what was happening was the fortifer was very difficult for him to digest and he would get so bloated that it made it hard for him to breath because his abdomen was so full of air, which of course was causing him to be uncomfortable and fussy.
From what I am understanding is Breast milk doesn't have enough calcium and minerals in it for a preemie baby, it does for a term baby just not these tiny babies. If they were still in utero they would be getting enough calcium from mom to harden their bones. So he does for sure need some kind of suppliment with the proper amounts of calcium and minerals to ossify his bones. Monday, Tuesday they will consult with a dietician to see what alternative we have to the human milk fortifier. I guess this does happen occassionally so I'm sure they will have the solution...So in the meantime he's only getting mommy's milk. He did have another big weight gain over night anyways so he must be getting enough nutrients to gain weight...
We held him for quite some time today, that little stinker is just such a little boy it makes me laugh. You almost have to hold his hands to stop him from pulling out his feeding tube and oxygen (which was at 23% today after his rough night)..He is so squirmy and he was making all kinds of grunting noises...and he looks just like Kirk!
Leah was such a little doll today, she is so good and content we held her for probably 2.5 hours and she didn't make a peep. She'll look around for a bit and then she'll fall asleep, then she'll wake back up and suck her soother, then back to sleep...what a difference between the 2 babies...Leah doesn't look like anyone to me yet, just like Leah...She had 2 days in a row of huge weight gain but last night she lost a bit, I guess thats pretty normal though.
They told me 2 exciting things today, first was they will start getting to try out nursing this upcoming week! Not to get any milk but to just learn how to...2nd thing was after prying a bit I did have a nurse practitioner say they will likely be home for Christmas!!!!!! Now of course they follow that with, not for sure, things change fast around here, don't get your hopes up...but I'm telling you my hopes ARE up...I really think by then they will be ready to come home...They would be 37-38 weeks gestation which is when they were suppose to have been born...Plus 2 sets of twins around us just got released this week at 36 weeks, so here's hoping!!!
Anyways, thats the loooong update for today!! Happy 32nd Birthday to my honey!!!
Lots of babies have troubles with fortifier. In our NICU sometimes we do a few formula feeds a day to get extra calories & calcium in or fortify the EBM with formula powder. Seems crazy to think of formula when you work so hard pumping, but the nutritients are worth it.
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping my babies could be home close to Christmas too!
Glad things are going well!
Katie (from FF)
Oh yayyy! Stacey that is sooo exciting! I hope they re home by christmas what a great gift that would be!
ReplyDelete