First thank you so much for all the nice messages and well wishes that everyone sent us today.
My day started at 1:30am to pump, followed by Alyssa waking up at about 2am with an aweful croupy cough. She spent about and hour crying and trying to get her resettled then up at 5 am to pump and get to the hospital...
All in all today was shit, just plain old no good very bad day :(
I was told over and over that this surgery was no big deal, and Oh thank goodness its not something more major and he'll feel so much better...I was prepared for a simple procedure and that really it would be no big deal.
Well it was a big deal, infact it was a huge deal. We got to childrens after an aweful bumpy ambulance ride, we were a little late getting there so they took him right away for his surgery.
They then said it would be about an hour and a half, which I was surprised at. We waited in a waiting room with a TV monitor similar to an Airport screen, all the kids names and their status; waiting for OR, In OR, In recovery etc.
Finally after close to 2 hours of surgery the surgeon came out to talk to us.
They tried to do a spinal but it didn't really work so they gave him a local anaesethic while he was awake and sucking on his soother...
Turns out he had 2 Massive hernias, one on each side and it was a much bigger thing than they thought and WAY more that we thought. It ended up taking close to 2 hours and they even had to repair his muscle wall on the left side that was the worst. There was no bowel damage and he thinks the testicle will be ok but they wont know for about a year on that.
We went back to see him in recovery and he was just screaming at the top of his lungs...I just cried seeing him in so much pain, Kirk agreed it was aweful. It was so heart breaking I have never heard him cry like that. It was the kind of cry where they start out screaming and end up holding their breath and not making a sound. He hadnt eaten in almost 12 hours so we gave him a tiny bit of milk to calm him down and it did a little.
Then the transport guys came to pick him up and transfer him back to the PLC...The ambulance ride was SO aweful and bumpy, why don't they have better shocks in those things??? The snow on the roads certainly didn' t help matters...He screamed at he top of his lungs the whole way being strapped to the little travel cot incubator. I had my hands in there trying to hold in his soother and rest my hand on his head to calm him...it didn't really help...He is only on tylenol every 4-6 hours...I can sure tell you that he went through WAY more than I did with my C-section and I was given a whole heck of a lot more drugs than tylenol...poor baby.
For the rest of the day he was in a lot of pain, every time he moved he would scream at the top of his lungs. He did seem to calm down when I was holding him, I did hold him most of the day and he did manage to fall asleep for while, but again everytime he moved he just screamed...
I left him tonight after being there for 12 hours in the care of an older nurse who was cuddling him. I am going to call in a bit to see how he is...
All in all that was a horredous horrible experience that we completely under estimated, and I sure as heck hope I don't EVER have to go through that with any of our kids again...
I hope tomorrow he is a little better but I am prepared now for him to be the same.
On a brighter note the have tentively said we can bring them home next Wednesday...I'm too tired to be excited right now maybe once I know he's feeling better I'll start to believe it....
Booooooo for today...Goodnight.........
Oh I am so sorry to hear that it was so hard on EVERYONE. I remember watching that darn "arrivals" board too... Brodie spent the next 12 hours throwing up and screaming in pain... so hard to watch. He will feel much better tomorrow.. and better after that... and then feel SO much better when he is home with everyone together next Wednesday. We are here for you. I am sorry it was so crappy. Being a mom is hard, and you are doing AMAZING!!!
ReplyDeleteOh Stacey what a terrible day thank goodness its over! You are all ALWAYS in my thoughts and prayers! You are such a good Mommy and Kirk is such a good Daddy, those little babies and Alyssa are so lucky to have you taking care of them! Stay strong the end is near and finally you will all be together xoxo
ReplyDeleteThinking of you guys xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteToday must have been so hard. Take care. xoxox
ReplyDelete