I read this great blog post (thanks to Julie for the link) about parenting and the mistakes we make along the way, and how we all beat ourselves up over these mistakes, and how we should forgive ourselves and know we are all human trying our best to parent the best way we know how.
At the end of her post she asked this question:
What is one part of parenthood that you are REALLY good at?
It really made me think about it, and I thought with Mother's Day approaching it would be nice to reflect on what we are Good at, and remind ourselves that we ARE good parents. I thought hard about my list, (ok its more than one) and it seems its harder to admit what we are good at, and have no problem knowing what we are bad at...Perhaps we could focus more on the good! A lot of my points seem to lean more towards Alyssa because as a 4.5 year old I can see the results, but I know full well my other 2 are the same, I try to be consistent.
1) My # 1 thing is, my kids know that "You are loved"... I can whole heartedly say that without a doubt my kids know they are loved...Not only do I tell them a 1000 times a day, but I very make a concsious effort every day to make it clear, I am always saying to my kids..."Do you know how much you are loved?" Alyssa often will reply with "Yes mom, I know you love me, farther than the moon and back and even bigger than a rainbow"
You can see her eyes rolling...but I don't care...I also talk with her lots about other people that love her... Daddy, sibilings, Grandparents, Aunties/Uncles, Cousins...Alyssa and I have secret signs with each other that we can tell each other from across the room...she knows at a glance that She is loved...I guess if I were to die tomorrow, that would be the most important thing on my list...it goes beyond just the words...my kids know that They Are loved!!
2) Not necessarily my # 2, but just next I could think of...Nutrition...I try very hard to make sure I provide my children with 3 nutritious meals a day, plus snacks...I make sure I think about what they've eaten that day and provide the proper recommended servings of each food group...I also think about what they've eaten that week and what they might need more of...
3) I am rather a goof by nature (oh my poor dear Leah!), and I just love Being Silly with my kids...Dance offs, silliness and jokes and laughing all around...I love it, I get even sillier the more they laugh!!
4) I take a great deal of pride in my children's Appearance...It might sound vain, but the truth...I love to take my children out with cute, clean, non stained clothes. Hair combed and looking their best...Strong parenting point? I'm not sure, but I am good at it!
5) Appreciation - I am literally over the moon to parent these 3 completely different little beings...I am so grateful everyday to be given this job as their mother! I like to celebrate BIG...I love to over due holidays, birthdays and Valentines and Easter etc...I know the # of years they will let me is limited...
6) I understand that my sole job as Mom, and the short amount of time I have them as small kids at home and as their influential source is limited, I find it
gives me more Patience to deal with the daily frazzles of being a parent...and believe me when I say I have my fair share of frazzled moments! One day I will be begging to be brought back to the innocence of their childhood...
I am not anywhere near a "Perfect Parent",
and I have a WAY longer list of things I
but this is me just doing the best I can...
I wish everyone a Happy Mothers Day,
and may you embrace the qualities that you kick butt at!!
I'd love to hear them!
Happy Mother's Day to All!!
I loved Glennon's post! Isn't it perfect?!
ReplyDeleteI have taught my girls sign language--they know seven signs, and we are working on more.
I memorize just about every book we have, so that I can read it upside down, sideways, and know what's on the page even if they turn the page early.
I come up with new games and activities for the girls all the time, so that they don't get bored.
I have and do make all the girls' food.