Thursday, December 2, 2010

Things I have learned...

...the past year having Twins, and some of the crazy things I've been asked!

1. People don't know very much about twins. They are "Fraternal" twins, not "Paternal" twins...

2. How can I tell that they aren't identical?? Really people?? Boy/Girl...should be easy! You'd be surprised how often I get asked this!

3. You need 2 of everything...seems obvious...2 cribs, 2 highchairs, 2 carseats..yet sometimes when I try and take a short cut like taking 1 sippy cup of water to the mall, I instantly regret the decision when all they do is fight over the 1 sippy cup...when in doubt buy/bring 2 of everything!

4. I often get asked which one is my favorite...Umm again.. Really?? The answer is I don't have a favorite

5. Similar to above, which is the good one? As though one must be an evil twin or something..The answer to that is, they are both good, but they both take turns being a monster for the day or week...Thankfully it doesn't happen often that they are both being a handful on the same day...

6. We go through A LOT of diapers and wipes! Sometimes I change up to 6-8 poopy diapers a day!

7. They start fighting at an early age!

8. Although I've never hidden the fact that they are IVF babies, I always find it interesting when a complete stranger asks me if they are "Natural" twins or not...nothing like having a conversation about their conception in the middle of Costco with a stranger...Just kidding I usually say Yes or that twins run in our family...Kirks mom is a fraternal twin...(though Fraternal twins aren't passed through the dads side, most don't know that!)

9. Boys and girls are completely different!!! When you get to compare them side by side you really notcie it!

10. We go through A LOT of milk! Thankfully Organic whole milk is a lot cheaper than the formula we were on, but its still a lot! The formula we used was $16.99 a can, we used about 1 can every day and a half  at the end, which was about $340 a month...The organic milk we use about 2 litres a day, at $5.50 a day is about $165 a month...

11. It IS twice as much work, but it is also twice as much fun!! I wouldn't trade it for the world!

5 comments:

  1. That made me laugh. I remember my sil being asked all the time if Mike and Kate are identical. So funny! A friend of mine always says that "No, twins don't run in the family...but they do NOW!" I always thought that was just the right amount of cheeky!!! Great post Stacey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! The "paternal" always cracks me up. And the "identacal boy-girl". Which by the way is possible in a major genetic fluke. Like one in a bazillion-gazillion. And the "natural" thing. Which pisses so many MoMs off. I love all the people on FF who say they reply "All natural. Neither of them is made of any plastic."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey this was hilarious. I do look forward to your updates (even though I don't always comment on them). Makes me feel as though I know them and you and all your family.
    Have a wonderful Christmas with all of them. Think of me enjoying time with my son. I haven't seen Matthew for a year so I am very excited.
    love Aunt Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacey I love reading your blog, you always make me laugh or cry...

    ReplyDelete