Ohmygosh!!! I can't believe the babies are 3 months old! Thats just blows my mind that the time has gone by so fast they are already 3 months old!!!
We had and eye appointment yesterday and weight check...Eyes are good! The vessels are finally are where they need to be, since they've been born they've had eye checks every 2 weeks. They use this barbaric looking metal thing that kind of looks like a bent paperclip and the it goes inside their eyelid to pry their eyelids open, it horrendous to watch even though they say it doesn't hurt them, the babies scream at full capacity during their exams...its heartbreaking to hear them cry like that. Anyways they finally passed the last of the Retinopathy of prematurity checks and we don't have to go back for 4 more months, AND they won't need the aweful metal contraption..yeah!!
Weights are good! Leah was 7 pounds and 0.6oz which is exactly what Alyssa weighed when she was born, its seems crazy that she was that big...Leah seems so big to me now compared to her down to 2 pounds when they were born...Blake is trailing a little at 6 pounds 11oz...Both have grown in length but the measurment escapes me at the moment..I think 47 cm which I have no idea in inches..
Both of the babies have really become a lot more alert this past week. They seem to have a long awake period right at about 9-11pm...which is funny because we all seem to get a second wind around here at about the same time...leave it to my kids to be up playing at 11 pm at night...We have pulled out some baby toys now. Blake surprised me last week reaching at his little hanging toy and touching it, I thought at first he did it by accident but he continues to do it so I know it is a concious effort. Leah gets so excited now lying on her mat looking up at the toys, she smiles a lot when she's sleeping but she is on the verge of cracking a real smile when you talk to her. We have to expect the babies to reach milestones based off of their January 10th due date which puts them at 3.5 weeks...So they are doing very well!!
Sleep is still a little to be desired around here. They are still eating every 3 hours, they do 1 4 hour stretch in the night which sounds ok but add in pumping and bottle heating and bum changes its really not fantastic...I think little Leah could go longer but brother Blake can't go longer than that so I wake her up and keep them eating at the same time...I can only imagine how little sleep we would get if we just fed them randomly when they were hungry...All my twin mom friends say its critical to keep them on schedule together, so that is what we are doing!
We still have great help from our moms, but we know they can't help out all day everyday forever before burning out. This week we had a Nanny/mothers' helpers start. Her name is Julie and she is going to come every week day for a few months to help do whatever needs to be done around here, everything from helping with the babies and Alyssa, to laundry and cleaning...I am very much looking forward to the extra help which will hopefully give me some more time to spend one on one with Alyssa and also with the babies...
I guess thats about all for today, the hours and days are still all just melding together...I am always shocked at the end of the day how fast it went by...
Oh a big congratulations to my friend Lil who just had her twin boys Dawson and Logan this past Sunday. They were born at 34 weeks and were both around 4.5pounds and doing well!!! I'm not sure how long they will be in the NICU but my guess would be about 2 weeks or so...Congrats Lil!!
Updated pictures to come as soon as I can find the silly cord to plug into my computer!
Stacey,
ReplyDeleteI am so impressed by how far your twins have come! Just today I noticed that Maeve outgrew some of her teeny clothes, and it just seems like yesterday they were so big on her. Even though you are short on sleep and hours in the day, it really sounds like you are enjoying every moment with your little ones. Take good care!
CK
Wow, 3 months already!! Time flies since we've only just met them about 1.5 months ago.
ReplyDelete