Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Crazy Adventure of 2009

Happy New Year!! 2009 was a year for us mixed with all sorts of extreme highs and lows. Some points so low I am happy to bid farewell to, and some so high I will remember as the best of my life...

We started the New year off by having a miscarriage at 9.5 weeks. We learned at our first ultrasound that the baby's heartrate was low and not a good sign, sadly right before New Years we learned that this very wanted little being was not meant to be. I spent quite a long time grieving our loss and wondering if another child was in our cards at all...having been through this with Alyssa it was a real possibility it wasn't. It was not something that I could just get over and move on from, it has a forever impact on my heart and was a very low point in my life.

March brought the beginning of a new quest for another child. We started our IVF treatments and had 6 long weeks of drugs, daily appointments, self injections and very invasive medical procedures. That in itself was an up and down rollercoaster of good news one day, bad the next..possibly cancelling and ultimately ending in us transferring 2 embryos in April...

May brought the wonderful news that we were not only expecting 1 little miracle but 2!!! Could we be so lucky to have things go smoothly and have BOTH babies come home with us?!?!

June was a scary scary time with a rushed trip to the emergency room where we were told 100% we were going to lose both babies. I had a subchronic hematoma that brought massive bleeding for the next 10 weeks and uncertainty if things would turn out ok, BUT these little fighters stayed put and conintued to thrive. There was a lot of lazy days and help from parents to keep these little ones safe..

August was the great news that we were having 1 girl and 1 boy!!! We also found out that Baby A which was our Leah, had a marginal placenta previa and a velamentous cord insertion, which in easy terms meant possible complications and the potential for growth problems and problems if the baby's water broke and possible fetal demise..ekkk

September and October were smooth sailing!! I felt great!!! Too great I think! I had energy, bleeding was gone, there still was the Baby A issues, but I was feeling like things were going great and I was going to be able to make it right til the end!!

November of course we know the babies had their own agenda..November 4th our Little baby A's water broke at 30 weeks which we were hoping wouldn't happen...but our little Miracles entered the world, ready or not...

November and December was the world of the NICU and the scares that came along with that, Leah's brain scare, Blakes tummy scare and surgery, and the demands of 7 weeks of travelling back and forth every day to the hospital...

December 22, was the day we brought these little angels home...and December 31 we spent holding these precious babies and thinking back to the heartache we felt just 1 year earlier...

I don't think ever in my life will I experience the full range of emotions that this year brought....never will I feel more joy than giving birth to 2 perfect babies, yet I won't ever forget the hurt and pain that came along with the journey to get where we are today...

I am looking so forward to 2010 and think it will be one of the best and crazy years. Even though I'm sure the craziness of having 3 kids under 3 will be hard sometimes, I'm am more than sure its a crazy that we can handle...and I'm so thankful to have Kirk as a partner and my rock to share this crazy ride with...

I hope that 2010 is a wonderful year for all our friends and family, and may all your dreams come true!! It IS possible!!
xoxo

6 comments:

  1. What a wild year Stacey. You made me cry!! I know you will have an amazing 2010!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crying here too... with complete happiness for you and your family. You made it girl!!!! Now ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey what a beautifully written article about your ups and downs over the past 12 months. Yes, sometimes life throws things at us that we had no idea we would be able to handle (and at the time it often feels like we can't) but somehow we pull through and just as your babies are doing - thrive. You are so fortunate to be surrounded by such incredible support and with such a loving, caring partner at your side. A very big Happy New Year to all of you.
    love Aunt Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. StaceyI just want you to know that you are such an inspiration to me! I think you are such a strong powerful woman who cherishes every moment of life! You are an amazing mother, wife, friend, family and I am so glad to have you in my life! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are all too sweet, it is thanks to your support and love that we were able to make it through relatively sane...haha..So THANKS to all of you for your words of encouragement, it means more than you know!

    ReplyDelete